Proceeds from the Lawndale 5K enable us TO SUPPORT A NEW URBAN GREENHOUSE AND LOCAL PRODUCE STORE COMING TO NORTH LAWNDALE THIS WINTER!
The Farm on Ogden is a unique collaboration between Lawndale Christian Health Center (LCHC) and the Chicago Botanic Garden’s Windy City Harvest, dedicated to transforming the long-term health of our community. Located adjacent to LCHC’s main campus and the current North Lawndale Youth Farm, The Farm on Ogden will provide needed opportunities, including:
- Access to fresh food in our neighborhood of North Lawndale, a neighborhood that is
disproportionately suffering from diet-related disease, through a corner store and a
partnership with the WIC program to provide discounted produce.
- A Food as Medicine initiative, where physicians will write VeggieRx prescriptions for patients in
need of additional health supports.
- Urban Agriculture training programs, providing workforce development and job training for
ex-offenders in urban agriculture, aquaponics, and the production of value added goods.
- Entrepreneurial and apprenticeship based certifications to provide the needed training.
- Enhanced educational opportunities for local students, with courses offered after school in
various topics related to food production.
- A community hub, designed to beautify the neighborhood and attract new investment.
All this will be located in a beautifully renovated building just off the CTA Central Park Pink Line, including a 6,000 square-foot greenhouse, hydroponics/aquaponics system, commercial kitchen, multi-purpose community space, and retail space.
Soon, the Farm on Ogden will grow over 30,000 pounds of produce and 14,000 pounds of tilapia annually, becoming a food hub that will serve beginning farmers, train youth and adults, and build the local food system by enhancing access to healthy fresh produce in Chicago. With a planned opening this summer, we will not only be creating a mini-ecosystem, but we will be bringing a sense of hope and healthy living to North Lawndale – vital components as we look to strengthen our community’s health.