Proceeds from the Lawndale 5K enable us TO SUPPORT A NEW URBAN GREENHOUSE AND LOCAL PRODUCE STORE COMING TO NORTH LAWNDALE THIS WINTER!
The Farm on Ogden is a unique collaboration between Lawndale Christian Health Center (LCHC) and the Chicago Botanic Garden’s Windy City Harvest, dedicated to transforming the long-term health of our community. Located adjacent to LCHC’s main campus and the current North Lawndale Youth Farm, The Farm on Ogden will provide needed opportunities, including:
- Access to fresh food in our neighborhood of North Lawndale, a neighborhood that is
disproportionately suffering from diet-related disease, through a corner store and a
partnership with the WIC program to provide discounted produce.
- A Food as Medicine initiative, where physicians will write VeggieRx prescriptions for patients in
need of additional health supports.
- Urban Agriculture training programs, providing workforce development and job training for
ex-offenders in urban agriculture, aquaponics, and the production of value added goods.
- Entrepreneurial and apprenticeship based certifications to provide the needed training.
- Enhanced educational opportunities for local students, with courses offered after school in
various topics related to food production.
- A community hub, designed to beautify the neighborhood and attract new investment.
All this will be located in a beautifully renovated building just off the CTA Central Park Pink Line, including a 6,000 square-foot greenhouse, hydroponics/aquaponics system, commercial kitchen, multi-purpose community space, and retail space.
Soon, the Farm on Ogden will grow over 30,000 pounds of produce and 14,000 pounds of tilapia annually, becoming a food hub that will serve beginning farmers, train youth and adults, and build the local food system by enhancing access to healthy fresh produce in Chicago. With construction already underway, and a planned opening this fall, we will not only be creating a mini-ecosystem, but we will be bringing a sense of hope and healthy living to North Lawndale – vital components as we look to strengthen our community’s health.